Monday, April 25, 2011

Fading Away

Slowly everything comes to an end over here in Kamloops. And one day I realised that I only spend a couple of days down in Vancouver. It was about time for me to take the next Greyhound and spend a few days in the city that made me want to go back to Canada so badly. I got up early last Tuesday packed some clothes, some textbooks and my cameras into my rucksack and went off to the Greyhound Station, got myself a ticket to Vancouver and boarded the bus soon after. Five hours later I was standing in downtown Vancouver. I suddenly realized how long I didn’t hear anyone speak Swiss German in my presence apart of skyping, what made me turn around every other moment. Apparently Vancouver is full of Swiss people again. As I didn’t book any hostel rooms in advance I wasn’t sure where I was going to stay, but gladly SameSun Backpackers on Granville Street still had an empty bed left for me. As Tuesday was a game day I went to the Hostel Pub shortly after checking in, in order to see the Canucks advancing to round two of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. However, if you know how that game ended you might be able to emphasize how disgusted I felt. I went for a short walk after in order to take some pictures of the daylight slowly fading out. Beautiful, but nevertheless, cool. As I didn’t really have a plan what I wanted to do or needed to do I spent most of the forthcoming days just wandering around in the city, occasionally going for a coffee or some lunch. I dearly enjoyed absorbing the vibe of the city that really energized me. Furthermore I met up with Cédric, a friend from back home. We ended up going to the first Pub we found (that Irish Pub on Granville & Robson, I forgot its name), ordered some pitchers of Kokanee before we went on to the Hostel Pub where we continued with some more beer. First it was weird talking Swiss German to anyone who’s face to face to you, but I somehow got used to it by time.

The rest of my time I spent walking around, checking out several locations, try out Restaurants and enjoy every bit of the City that I could possibly get. I became a huge fan of Granville Island, just amazing all the art and culture that’s around there, and all the good & fresh foods you get there. Irresistible!

I left for Kamloops Friday evening, and arrived back here late in the night, just about in the right mood to hit the hay right away.

On Saturday we had a little Farewell Party outside of UCH, where everyone brought some food to share. It saddened me to realize how fast time has flown and how soon we’re all going to be apart of each other, maybe never meeting again. We’re surely not ever meeting again altogether. However, that’s right the mood you need to have in order to make a night out unforgettable. I indeed had a good time that night and enjoyed partying with everyone for one last time.

Now Sunday’s pretty much over, I’ll spend the rest of the night sorting out things, preparing for my departure on Friday and maybe watching Giacobbo / Müller. I’ve got two exams coming this week, so I probably should invest some time into studying. All in all I feel sad that this is already over, I’d love to spent some more time here, get to know more people and attend some more classes. However, my adventure is not yet over, as my trip down the Westcoast comes closer day by day. I still didn’t book anything as I want to play as much of it by ear. The happy-go-lucky way kind of seems the most appropriate for adventures of any kind anyway.

1 comment:

  1. "We ended up going to the first Pub we found (that Irish Pub on Granville & Robson, I forgot its name), ordered some pitchers of Kokanee before we went on to the Hostel Pub where we continued with some more beer"

    Sounds great, I love Irish Pubs a lot and was always looking for them when I was in Australia :)

    Have a nice trip down the Westcoast and take care.

    Greets Greg Mankiw

    ReplyDelete